What Kind of Mood Are You In Today?

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Pet Peeve #2-Love and Above

I started a post on overused cliches that I meant to post tonight, but I just can't seem to finish it because there is THIS post hanging over my head like a dark cloud (oh, there's one for my next post!).


I just can't clear my head until I get this out of my system.


I'll be listening to a new song, totally loving it and finding myself with eyes closed or hands raised or dancing around the room when suddenly I hear at the end of the phrase the word, "love."


I get nervous because I just know what the next line will end with.  


"Above."


Oh, it is SO SO SO SO SO and I mean SOOOO overused!!!  Love and above, love and above.  You know, stuff like-


(read with lines dripping with gag-me sweetness)
For you I feel so much love
It must have been sent from God above.


I made that one up, but you get the gist.  It's just so...overused!  (Have I mentioned that yet?)


Here are some songs you may know that are coated with the sticky-sweet lyrics.


1.  Mariah Carey's "Sent from Up Above"  (You're scared already, I can see it.)
"sent from up above
"so much love"


2.  Bonnie Raitt, "Thing Called Love"
"Are you ready for the thing called love?
"Don't come from me and you it comes from up above."
(I'm dyyyyyyyying!!!)


Christian artists are particularly susceptible to the "love and above" hangup.
3.  Charitie L. Bancroft, "Before the Throne of God Above"
"Before the throne of God ABOVE
I have a strong, a perfect plea
A great High Priest whose name is LOVE
Whoever lives and pleads for me


I think the most common place I find it is in children's music.  I guess they figure sappy works for them,  But I, being a K-8 Music teacher, not only has to listen to these songs for 6 months out of the year, but I have to sing those words over and over and over again while teaching my students.  (Who happen to be the best students in all the world, in case you were wondering.)


Look, I know it's hard to find a word that rhymes with love.  But please...don't end the line with "love!"  Step out of the box. Live a little.  Put the word love in the middle of the line.  I know, it's so unconventional.  But seriously, Do NOT put love and above together as a pair.  They don't get along.  


I have to give some credit to Chris Tomlin.  He has figured out how to rhyme "love" and "enough" and totally make it work.  


"You satisfy me
"With Your LOVE
"And all I have in You
"Is more than ENOUGH"


He actually uses those words together quite a bit...which I hope will not eventually get on my nerves because I really like Tomlin's music!  


How many songs do you know have "love" and "above" together?  You don't know?  You've never noticed it?  Don't worry.  You'll be hearing it everywhere today!


Feel free to post those annoying little lines under comments.  

No comments:

Post a Comment