What Kind of Mood Are You In Today?

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Not Again...Phew! That Was Close!

A word to the wise:  shiny plates don't belong in the microwave!

Who knew?  Those shiny disposable plates are metallic.  You know, METALlic!  It never occurred to me.

I had popped it in the microwave with some yummy-VERY yummy- coffee cake on it...at school.

(Uh, oh.  Bring back any memories?  Like, when I set off the fire alarm at school?)

Again, I had popped it in the microwave and walked out to do something while my coffee cake was warming.  When I returned, my boss and the 5th/6th grade teacher were standing around the fire alarm, looking at it with concern.

I asked, "What's that smell?"

"We're trying to figure that out," they said.

I opened the microwave and POOF!  Out came a puff of smoke.  (Deja vu moment.)

If you remember, I work at a school and there are smoke detectors everywhere.  Having learned my lesson, I slammed the microwave shut and the three of us went into action opening windows.

"Are we due for a fire alarm?"  I asked.  "Well, at least it's not nap time like last time," my boss said.  (I cringed as I thought about that again.)

"So, when should we open the microwave?"  I asked.

The highly intelligent 5th/6th grade teacher said, "Here, take it outside."  (Wow!  Great idea!)

She carried it out and opened it.  We were all wondering what in the world made the microwave smoke. I opened it up and pulled out my plate.  It was totally deformed and had cracks all over it.  Ironically, it was the shape of an egg.  (That makes me giggle!)

The 5th/6th grade teacher says, "Ah!  It's a metallic plate!"

I am happy...oh so happy!... to report that the fire alarm did not go off.  Phew!  That was close!