What Kind of Mood Are You In Today?

Friday, August 7, 2009

It's Not My Fault-I Drank Bleach As a Kid!

Yeah, seriously...I did.

I don't remember it, but my mother and older brother swear it's true.

My mother claims that we had been out shopping and I had been complaining that I was thirsty. She was bringing in groceries from the car and I guess I saw that as my opportunity. I don't know how in the world I was able to get that stuff down, but my mom glanced over and there I was, drinking bleach.

My mom freaked, grabbed the Syrup of Ipecac, and shoved it in my mouth. For the record, if your kid ever drinks bleach, don't give him/her Syrup of Ipecac. The bleach burns on the way down, it will burn on the way back up. Call poison control.

But my poor mom was in a panic, probably thinking, "Oh, my gosh! She's two (or three) and she already has this fascination with soaping up her bath toys and then crashing them in the bath tub. If I don't do something quick she'll probably crash her car in a car wash when she grows up!"

So, Syrup of Ipecac goes down and away we go in the car, mom driving and me sitting on my big brother's lap in the front seat. (This is back before car seat laws.) My mom is driving like...well, a panicked mother and then the syrup did its work...all over my poor brother! To this day, whenever the story comes up, he still gets this look on his face that says, "You owe me, Sis. You owe me BIG!"

2 comments:

  1. Hi! My Aunt Alicia pointed me in this direction from her blog, said a good laugh could be found, and I've just read your bleach story and she was right :) I had a small panic moment as I started reading - I've just brought in groceries and as I read "I drank bleach" I stopped and ran out to the other room where my 1 yr. old was alone with the bleach I'd left on the floor. He didn't notice it - - but thanks, anyway, for making my brain click!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I could be of service. :) And thanks for reading my blog!

    ReplyDelete