What Kind of Mood Are You In Today?

Sunday, September 20, 2009

So...About That Carpet

Like I said in my last post, my carpet is sitting under half the amount of water it takes to wash a load of laundry.


This is the 3rd time.


The first time this happened, I was surprised.  I walked down the hallway in my socks and my first step went, "squish" and then I felt the cold, icky feeling of wet socks.  I hate that.


Where the heck did all that water come from?  Well, it didn't take me long to figure it out because at that moment I heard the unmistakeable sound of water spilling onto the floor and I knew exactly what happened.


How did I know exactly?  Because I've heard that sound more times than I care to remember...which I don't.  You see, there is a nice, big utility sink in my laundry room.  The hose from the washer dumps into that nice, big utility sink.  Unfortunately, when you leave the sink plugged after mopping your floors and run the washing machine, it overflows.


Leaving the mop in the sink has the same effect.


Up until this point, it had only overflowed onto the laundry room floor.  And since I have laundry piled in the hampers AND on the floor, the dirty clothes serve as sponges and sop most of the water up.


However, when the overflowing water is not caught in time, it overflows past the pile of laundry into the kitchen, then into the carpeted hallway.  The carpet serves as a gigantic sponge and sops up the rest of the water.  Unfortunately, I can't roll up the carpet and throw it in the washing machine.


In case you don't know, whenever you pull up wet carpet that's 10 years old or so, it smells really musty.  In fact, your entire house smells musty.  In fact, your entire house smells musty for days!


The first time was a learning experience.


The second time a pain.


The third time...well, the final straw that leads me to my life theme question...


What am I going to do about it?  I have an idea, but first I want to know what YOU would suggest.

(Check out Travis' side of the story!)

5 comments:

  1. New carpet and carpet pad. Replumb the washer into its own drain. Why didn't you replumb it the first time? oh and if you can't afford new carpet because of the Chevron thing... then I would shop vac as much water as I could up and then get a couple of fans and set it over the carpet till it dries. Then have your carpets cleaned, to help get rid of the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh,sorry! That totally stinks! Replumbing is a great idea, or maybe you can rig something in the meantime? I hope you get those carpets dried out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can replumb it?!? Oh, Traaaaaaaaaaaaaviiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition to replumb. I would say tile baby! and if you can a nice little drain (just in case...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your style of thinking, Anon... :)

    ReplyDelete